H.C. Marsh Tool Co. was formed in 1888 by Horace Clarence Marsh. The manufacturing plant was located at 220 Race power Water Street. This area was in the original Rockford Industrial Center adjacent to the Rock River.
The primary product in the early years was the famous Marsh Picture Frame Mitre Vise. This was patent No. 408,248 granted August 6, 1889. A line of high-quality cast iron mitre boxes was also manufactured by this firm.