Kunz No. 7 jointer ...

Notifications
Clear all

Please go to http://chat.timetestedtools.net to add any new post.

"------"

These will be marked read only.

Thanks

Don

Kunz No. 7 jointer - thoughts on production date?

(@j_m_reid)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

My first post here on TTT:

I have this Kunz No.7 jointer that I got quite a while ago in an online auction (taking a big chance on a jointer and a brand I didn't know). Kunz as a brand generally doesn't seem to have a great reputation for quality, but this green monster seems really well made. The sole is flat all over to a thousandth of an inch, which is how I received it with no additional tuning required. It arrived clean and well cared for, and seems very nicely made; especially with little details like the round knob on the lateral adjustment lever. There is very little info available that I've been able to locate, and thought maybe someone on the forum might have some additional thoughts on dating the green beastie.  I did find one German hosted site with a similar plane but the lateral adjustment lever was just a bent metal one. 

IMG 6613
IMG 6615

IMG 6616
IMG 6618
IMG 6619
IMG 6620
IMG 6617
IMG 6614
This topic was modified 4 months ago by Don

Don
(@don)
Member Admin

ReplyQuote
(@j_m_reid)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@don I sent them an email directly with pictures of my plane. Maybe someone will write me back. 

ReplyQuote
 Don
(@don)
Member Admin

Keep us posted

ReplyQuote
 Don
(@don)
Member Admin

Here is a catalog from 1930s

https://pdfhost.io/v/xvbrysqL._1930KUNZKATALOG

James liked
ReplyQuote
(@j_m_reid)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@don Thanks for digging up that PDF. The full range of tools, and a No.7 on pg 8.

I also found this: KLEINES WERKZEUGMUSEUM

It shows a No 7 with a levered Lever Cap instead of one with a threaded knob, and a lateral adjustment lever with a flat thumb plate instead of the little turned metal knob. Nob and tote profiles are the same though.  

Mine has the 6 B on the back of the cap iron, but no GK on the iron. 

This post was modified 5 months ago by James

ReplyQuote
 Don
(@don)
Member Admin

It removed the link. I'll need to figure that out!

ReplyQuote
(@j_m_reid)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@don I didn't insert the link using the tools in the editor. I just cut & pasted it the first time. I inserted the URL link using the tools the second time, et voila! 

ReplyQuote
 Don
(@don)
Member Admin

Screenshot 20220204 192855

ReplyQuote
(@j_m_reid)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

From Wolfgang Jordan of Holzwerken.de - "Unfortunately there is not so much knowledge about Kunz planes compared to Stanley planes. What I know is that the color at some time changed from black to green, but I don't know when. Maybe when the company changed place to West Germany after the war. I only have one Kunz catalog from around 1930, which can be found here":

https://kataloge.holzwerken.de/index.html?name=kunz&lfdnr=1

and

From Ralf Tresselt, Tresselt GmbH: "It´s a nice old KUNZ Tool you have…We manufacture the KUNZ tools since 1991. The only one what I can say safely is, that it was manufactured before. I would estimate it was made in the 80´s."

ReplyQuote
 Don
(@don)
Member Admin

Thanks to Greg Rickets @

Don,

I don’t know if you translated the German web page on Kunz, but I have attached a .pdf English translation of it for you.  The links should work, although I know at least one was no longer working on the website.  The 1930 Kunz catalog is in my public research library under Gebr Kunz (I need to move it to just plain Kunz as even I have a hard time finding it) along with some other info here:

https://aplanelife.us/research-library

From around 1925-1929, United Hardware & Tool Corp. was importing a large number of Kunz wood working tools under the United Fulton brand.  Their trademark features a steamboat to distinguish it from Sears Fulton brand.  I believe the two co-existed as Sears was dropping the Fulton line starting in 1927 in favor of the new Craftsman line of premier tools.  That didn’t work out the way they planned and it took anther 20 years for Sears to drop the Fulton brand.  However, it appears United Hardware & Tool Corp. went out of business in the early 1930s as a result of the economic crisis and heavy tariffs on imported European tools as was testified to the US Commerce Committee on tariffs by a United representative in the late 1920s.  I have a copy of the committee transcription.

I hope this helps you answer some of the questions you have on Kunz.  Happy to discuss anytime, there are probably more details wondering around in my brain (and on my computer).

Greg Ricketts

ReplyQuote
Share: