A truly beautiful tool from Goodell Pratt.
Like most hybrid breast/hand drills this offering from Goodell Pratt is designed to handle any and all drilling tasks. Its large enough and firm enough to do the job of a small breast drill while being light and handleable enough to be used like a normal hand drill. It has a very smooth mechanism, however changing gear is a bit fiddly as it will only do so in certain virtually random crank positions.
Functionally there are better hybrid drills about, however this is by no means a bad drill and that elegant design is a pretty unique.
Selector Switch Options:
– Fast – Higher gear
– Slow – Lower Gear
- Weight: 1kg
- Length: 370mm
- Drive Wheel Diameter: 115mm
- Chuck Type: Standard Spring
- Chuck Capacity: 10mm
- Chuck External Diameter: 33mm
- Frame: Malleable Iron
- Handle(s): Hardwood
- Mechanism: 2-Pinion 2-Gear Equalised, Ball Thrust Bearing
- Special Features: 2-Gears, Bit Storage Handle
- Dated: 1911-1948
- Production Period: 1896 – 1948
- Patent: MAR.31.1896
- Made by: Goodell Pratt., Massachusetts, USA
Notes: So easy to loose the ball bearings while dismantling!