After a lot of looking I finally purchased a Stanley #48. As many of you know, I look for the rust. Here is how it came.

clip_image001

clip_image002

So the first thing I did was soak it in evapo-rust. I was hoping the soaking would loosen some of the screws and parts. I had removed the knob before immersing it in the bath.

clip_image003clip_image004

It soaked over night and in the morning I came out looking like this.

clip_image005clip_image006

I took it completely apart and  took to wire brushing all the parts.

clip_image007clip_image008

I hit the brass nut with the buffing wheel.

clip_image009

I then sanded the knob, Starting with 60 grit up through 500.

clip_image010

I laid out the part, sharpened the irons and oiled each piece.

clip_image011

Now I put it all back together.

clip_image012clip_image013

All That is left is trying it out.

clip_image014

After the first run I realized I had the blades in backward. Switched them around and kept on making shavings.

clip_image015clip_image016clip_image017clip_image018clip_image019

One more plane to add to the till.

clip_image020