A while ago I got a  Sargent #422 (Stanley #7 size) that was cut from 22” down to 18”, frog was broke, it had a Stanley iron and knob and tote was missing and it was missing most other major parts so it sat on my bench for a long time. I wasn’t sure what I was going to to with it, then this idea stuck me.

The infill is made from blood wood, the accent is cherry. Its epoxied to the base.

The knurled knob is made from 3/4” copper pipe with a 1/4” x 20- bolt and bloodwood epoxied into it. I used a file to cut the grooves.

The finish is Brush Oil.

clip_image001clip_image002clip_image003clip_image004clip_image005clip_image006clip_image007clip_image008clip_image009clip_image010clip_image011clip_image012clip_image013

I started with a Sargent #6 base. This was originally a 422 which had been cut down. The frog was broke, lat adjustment missing, no iron or chip breakers, so it became the perfect specimen.

clip_image015

clip_image017

clip_image019

clip_image021

clip_image023

clip_image025

I left the metal behind the frog intact. It seemed easier to notch the wood around it than grind it off. I think it would help hold the epoxy as well. I did grind the front rise where the knob screwed into however.

clip_image027

clip_image029

clip_image031

I made the knob separate. I wasn’t sure if I wanted some alternate wood in there or not. I chose a piece of cherry scrape and I liked the look, so I t became part of the plan.

clip_image033

clip_image035

clip_image037

clip_image039

I’ve been asked why I put the knob on perpendicular. The knob sat on the plane on the bench and I kept turning it. I just liked the way it looked when the grain was perpendicular so that’s the way it went together.

clip_image041

clip_image043

clip_image045

clip_image047

clip_image049

clip_image051

clip_image053

clip_image055clip_image056

Looking through my parts pile I found a chip breaker the perfect size without the adjuster hole. This is still a Stanley iron. I haven’t decided if I’ll use something I have or order a new iron yet.

clip_image057clip_image058clip_image059clip_image060clip_image061clip_image062

After some inspiration from the guys over at woodworkerstalk.com I decided to make a knurled bolt. I didn’t take many pictures along the way, I’ll try to remember next time, but its just a piece of wood stuffed in 3/4” copper pipe, and the bolt all epoxied together.

clip_image063

clip_image064

Then, on to the lever cap!!

clip_image065clip_image066clip_image067

clip_image068

clip_image069

clip_image070clip_image071clip_image072clip_image073clip_image074clip_image075clip_image076clip_image077

clip_image078clip_image079clip_image080clip_image081clip_image082clip_image083clip_image084clip_image085clip_image086clip_image087clip_image088clip_image089clip_image090clip_image091