So another way to attach the sides is tapping and peening. I thought I’d give it a try on a small smoother. I decided on aluminum sides and hot rolled steel for the sole. The aluminum is 1/8” x 2” and hot the rolled steel is about 3/8” x 1 7/8”. I wanted to use a 1 5/8” block plane iron.

Infill is cherry.

Lever cap is brass.

This time I cut the sole in 2 pieces. I found this technique a lot easier. The I drilled the sides. And tapered them with a reamer.

clip_image001

Next I used the counter sink to give the holes a countersink. I figured between the taper and the countersink, they should tighten up nice.

clip_image002

The holes were the tapped 1/4×20

clip_image003

clip_image004

And the bolts tighten in. I really don’t think it would be necessary to use epoxy, but for the price of a tube of JB Weld, everything got welded.

Here I’m checking the depth to make sure I’m deep enough for the bolts.

clip_image005

bolt heads where cut off.

clip_image006

Then the bolts pened over.

clip_image007

clip_image008

clip_image009

I have about 6 hours in it at this point.

clip_image010

And a quick test run

clip_image011

Day 2

About another 4-5 hours.

I didn’t have a piece of metal for the cap iron (I may eventually just get a thicker iron) so I wound up using an old badly pitted #120 iron. It will be replaced.
The rest of the time was spent shaping the lever cap, making the chip breaker and sanding and finishing the plane.

clip_image012

clip_image013

clip_image014

clip_image015

clip_image016

clip_image017

clip_image018

clip_image019

clip_image020

clip_image021

clip_image022

clip_image023

clip_image024

Thanks for looking.

dw